Voter ID for Absentee Ballots
ID requirements for absentee ballots are set by each state and can be less stringent than ID requirements when voting in person. See below for details on absentee ballot eligibility and what ID, if any, is needed to vote absentee.
Who is eligible for Absentee Voting?
- Any registered Montana voter can vote absentee.
What Types of ID are required to apply for Absentee Voting?
If voter has voted in Montana at least once before, ID is not required.
However, the voter’s signature on the back of the absentee ballot envelope must match the voter’s signature on file.
If voter is a first-time Montana voter and did not provide ID at voter registration, voter must provide one of the following:
- Any photo ID with the voter’s name
- Current utility bill with voter’s name and Montana address
- Bank statement with voter’s name and Montana address
- Paycheck with voter’s name and Montana address
- Government check with voter’s name and Montana address