Call For Action Gets Woman’s Real ID Fixed After Registry of Motor Vehicles Changes Her Name

CBS Boston,  November 28, 2019

The RMV requires proof of lawful presence. There is a long list of documents that work for this purpose, many of which are related to immigration. For most people that means a passport or a birth certificate. Because Ellen’s passport was expired, her only option was her birth certificate which reads, Ellen Paula Stern. But like many women, when Ellen got married she took her maiden name as her middle name and became Ellen Stern Winner.

When she approached the counter at the registry, the clerk refused to accept that name, and issued her a license that reads Ellen Paula Winner. Ellen said she told the clerk, “There’s no Ellen Paula Winner, I’m Ellen Stern Winner.” According to Ellen, the clerk replied, “Well, you are Ellen Paula Winner now.” ...

When we contacted the RMV, a spokesperson told us that a Social Security card is acceptable for proof of name, but when we called the RMV licensing division, the person on the phone was very clear that it wasn’t.

Read the full article...