Who is eligible for Absentee Voting?
Must meet one of the following:
- A person who is or may be in the military service of the U.S., regardless of whether at the time of voting the person is present in the election district of residence or in the Commonwealth and regardless of whether he or she is registered to vote.
- A spouse or dependent residing with or accompanying a person in the military service of the U.S. and who expects on Election Day to be absent from his or her municipality of residence during the entire period in which the polling places are open for voting (7 a.m. to 8 p.m.).
- A member of the Merchant Marine and his/her spouse and dependents residing with or accompanying the Merchant Marine, who expect to be absent on Election Day from the Commonwealth or the municipality of residence during the entire period in which the polling places are open for voting.
- A member of a religious or welfare group attached to and serving with the armed forces and his/her spouse and dependents residing with or accompanying him or her, who expect on Election Day to be absent from the Commonwealth or the municipality of residence during the entire period in which the polling places are open for voting.
- An individual who, because of the elector's duties, occupation or business (including leaves of absence for teaching, vacations and sabbatical leaves), expects on Election Day to be absent from his/her municipality of residence during the entire period the polls are open for voting and the spouse and dependents of such electors who are residing with or accompanying the elector and for that reason also expect to be absent from his/her municipality during the entire period the polls are open for voting
What Types of ID are required to apply for Absentee Voting?
Voters must provide one of the following
- Driver’s License or PennDOT photo ID number
- Last 4 digits of Social Security number
Copy of a photo ID issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including:
- A Pennsylvania Driver’s License or non-Driver’s License photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date)
- A valid U.S. passport
- A U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite)
- A military dependents’ ID that contains an expiration date
- An employee photo ID issued by Federal, Pennsylvania, County or Municipal government
- A photo ID card from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
- Photo ID card issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
- A non-photo driver’s license or other non-photo ID issued by PennDOT (if the voter has a religious objection to being photographed)