Who is eligible for Absentee Voting?
Any registered Rhode Island voter can vote absentee.
Do you need to submit ID with your absentee ballot request?
Yes, voters can provide a Rhode Island driver’s license number or Rhode Island ID number (from voter registration).
First-time Rhode Island voters who did not present ID at the time of voter registration must present ONE of the following:
- Driver’s license
- Any photo ID with the voter’s name
- Current utility bill with voter’s name and Rhode Island address
- Bank statement with voter’s name and Rhode Island address
- Paycheck with voter’s name and Rhode Island address
- Government check with voter’s name and Rhode Island address
Do you need to submit ID with your ballot?
No, but the signature on the vote-by-mail ballot must match the voter registration signature.
If you registered to vote by mail and are voting by absentee ballot in your first federal election, you must enclose a copy of your photo ID or document bearing your name and residence address in the envelope with your voted ballot.
last update: March 19, 2020