Who is eligible for Absentee Voting?
- Persons who will be on vacation outside their county of residence on Election Day
- Members of the Uniformed Services, American Red Cross, or Merchant Marine, and their spouses and dependents residing with them
- Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on Election Day
- Physically disabled persons
- Persons sixty-five years of age or older
- Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day
- Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on day of election or within a four-day period before the election
- Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
- Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
- Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
- Certified poll watchers, poll managers, and county election officials working on Election Day
- Missing Overseas Voters
- Students attending higher education outside of their county
- Government employees who are residing outside their county and their spouses/dependents
Do you need to submit ID with your absentee ballot request?
No additional ID is required for registered South Carolina voters.
First-time South Carolina voters who did not present ID at the time of voter registration must present ONE of the following:
- Driver’s license
- Any photo ID with the voter’s name
- Current utility bill with voter’s name and South Carolina address
- Bank statement with voter’s name and South Carolina address
- Paycheck with voter’s name and South Carolina address
- Government check with voter’s name and South Carolina address
Do you need to submit ID with your ballot?
No, but the signature on the vote-by-mail ballot must match the voter registration signature.
If you registered to vote by mail and are voting by absentee ballot in your first federal election, you must enclose a copy of your photo ID or document bearing your name and residence address in the envelope with your voted ballot.
last update: March 19, 2020