Who is eligible for Absentee Voting?
Any registered West Virginia voters may vote by absentee ballot in person during the period of early voting.
You may vote by absentee ballot by mail in West Virginia if:
- you will be absent from the county during both the early voting period and Election Day because of personal or business travel or attendance at a college, university or other place of education or training;
- your employment makes voting in person impossible because of the hours worked and distance from the county seat
- you are confined to a specific location and prevented from voting in person due to an illness, injury, other medical reason, physical disability, or advanced age;
- you are incarcerated or detained in jail or a home on Election Day, but not under conviction of any felony, of treason, or of bribery (including any period of probation or parole);
- you are a participant in the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) with the Office of the Secretary of State;
- the county absentee voting office and your polling place are inaccessible to to you due to your physical disability.
Do you need to submit ID with your absentee ballot request?
Enter your WV driver’s license or DMV-issued non-driver’s ID number in the request form. If you do not have a WV driver’s license or DMV-issued ID, enter the last four digits of your social security number. If you do not have a driver’s license, DMV ID or a social security number, enter the word “NONE.” An ID number will be assigned to you.
Do you need to submit ID with your ballot?
If you are voting in West Virginia by mail, you will need to submit a copy of one of the following valid identifying documents with your ballot:
- a valid West Virginia driver’s license or ID card;
- a valid driver’s license issued by a state other than West Virginia;
- a valid US passport;
- a valid employee ID card with your photo issued by a West Virginia state or local government or by the federal government;
- a valid student ID with your photo issued by a high school or institution of higher education in West Virginia;
- a valid military ID card with your photograph;
- a valid concealed carry permit with your photograph;
- a valid Medicare card or Social Security card;
- a valid birth certificate;
- a valid West Virginia voter registration card;
- a valid hunting or fishing license issued by the State of West Virginia;
- a valid identification card issued to the voter by the West Virginia Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, or Medicaid A valid bank card or valid debit card;
- a valid utility bill or bank statement issued within six months of the date of the election;
- a valid health insurance card issued to the voter;
- a copy of a current utility bill;
- any other current government document that shows your name and address.
last update: March 18, 2020