You may register to vote and cast a ballot on the same day during any early voting period (in-person absentee registration) at your county’s auditor’s office, or at your local polling place on Election Day. You must show one ID that includes a photo with a current and valid expiration date.
- A current Iowa driver’s license or Iowa non-operator ID
- Out-of-state driver’s license or non-operator ID
- U.S. passport
- U.S. Military or Veteran ID
- ID card issued by employer
- Student ID card issued by an Iowa high school or college, or
- Tribal ID Card/Document (signed).
Proof of residence (must include name and current address and be current within 45 days; may be in an electronic format or on paper), is necessary only if your acceptable ID does not contain your current address:
- Residential lease
- Utility bill (including a cell phone bill)
- Bank statement
- Government check or other government document
- Property tax statement (current within 45 days of final payment date).
If you do not present an acceptable ID and, if necessary, proof of residence, you may cast a provisional ballot. In order for your provisional ballot to count, you must provide ID at your county Auditor’s Office by 12:00 noon on the Monday after Election Day for most elections. The specific deadline will be provided to you at the time of your casting the provisional ballot.