COLORADO Voter ID Information

Registered Colorado voters must show ID to vote at the polls. If you didn't bring your ID to the polling place, you may cast a provisional ballot. In order for your ballot to be counted, you must complete a provisional ballot affidavit. After Election Day, the election official will determine if you were eligible to vote and if your provisional ballot will be counted..

VoteRiders provides updated information and free, expert assistance to help you with voter ID questions including how to renew your expired ID, how to obtain the documents needed to secure your ID, and how to correct errors in your birth certificate. Call or text VoteRiders’ Voter ID Helpline: 844-338-8743.


If ID shows address, must be CO address:
  • CO driver’s license or ID card #
  • U.S. Passport #
  • Medicare or Medicaid card #
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate or naturalization document
  • Group residential care facility verification
  • Tribal certificate
  • Name & address on copy of utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or government document including check (within 60 days)
  • Employee ID issued by US, CO or their subdivisions #*
  • U.S. military or veterans ID #*
  • Student ID issued by CO postsecondary school #*
# current
* with photo


First-time voters who have not voted in a previous federal election, or who have never voted in their county of residence in a federal election, AND who did not provide either a driver’s license number or the last four digits of a Social Security number at the time of registration, must present documentation proving their identity in order to complete their voter registration. First time voters who are voting in person must present this documentation at the polls. First time voters who are voting by mail/absentee ballot must enclose a copy of such documentation with their ballot request or ballot. This is required under the federal Help America Vote Act, enacted in 2002.



NO! CO does not accept ID issued by other states as voter ID.


Yes! Colorado accepts a current student ID card from a CO postsecondary school.