MONTANA Voter ID Information

Registered Montana voters must show ID at the polls to vote. If you are a registered voter but didn't bring your ID to the polling place, you can still vote a regular ballot if your Polling Place Elector ID form can be verified by the Election Office. Otherwise, you may cast a provisional ballot. In order for your provisional ballot to be counted, you must provide valid ID or other proof of eligibility by 5:00 PM the day after the election (in person or electronically), or mail it postmarked by the day after the election.

VoteRiders provides information and free, expert assistance to help you with voter ID. We can help with renewing your expired ID, obtaining the documents needed to secure your ID, and covering the cost of getting to and from ID-issuing offices. Call or text VoteRiders’ Voter ID Helpline: 844-338-8743.


  • Current photo ID showing voter's name*
  • Current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, voter registration confirmation, government check or other government document showing voter’s name and current address

* such as valid driver's license, state ID, school district or postsecondary education ID, or tribal ID

If you do not have any of the items listed above, you can still vote a regular ballot if your “Polling Place Elector ID” form can be verified by the Election Office.


First-time voters who have not voted in a previous federal election, or who have never voted in their county of residence in a federal election, AND who did not provide either a driver’s license number or the last four digits of a Social Security number at the time of registration, must present documentation proving their identity in order to complete their voter registration. First time voters who are voting in person must present this documentation at the polls. First time voters who are voting by mail/absentee ballot must enclose a copy of such documentation with their ballot request or ballot. This is required under the federal Help America Vote Act, enacted in 2002.


No! Montana does not accept out of state ID.


Yes! Montana accepts a current student ID card with photo.