Voter ID in Iowa


What is your plan for voting?

Voter ID rules are different based on whether you vote by absentee ballot or in person.



Voting by Absentee Ballot

Any registered Iowa voter can choose to use an absentee ballot. You don’t have to give a reason for not voting in person.


Requesting Your Ballot

You have to request an absentee ballot from your County Auditor.

Application Info

When you request your ballot, you need to provide ID information. You can use one of these:

  • Iowa driver’s license number
  • Iowa non-operator ID number
  • Four-digit Voter PIN from your Voter Identification Card

If you don’t have an Iowa driver’s license or non-operator ID number, you’ll get an Iowa Voter Identification Card in the mail when you register.

If you can’t remember your Voter ID PIN and don’t have another approved ID, get in touch with your county auditor’s office.

Returning Your Ballot

You do not need to include a copy of your ID with your application or when you return your completed ballot.

Iowa only allows military and overseas voters to return their ballots online.



Voting in Person

Iowa asks you to show an acceptable ID when you vote in person. If you don’t have an ID that works, you can still vote a regular ballot if another registered voter in your precinct confirms your identity.

You can use one of these IDs:

  • Iowa driver’s license or ID (as long as it’s not expired for more than 90 days)
  • US Passport (must be unexpired)
  • Military ID or Veteran ID (must be unexpired)
  • Tribal ID (needs to be signed)
  • Iowa Voter ID Card (needs to be signed)


You need to prove your identity with a current photo ID that has a valid expiration date. It could be an out-of-state driver’s license or ID, an ID card from your job, or a student ID from high school or college in Iowa.

You also need to prove where you live if your ID doesn’t have your current address. This document needs to have your name and current address, and it should be from the last 45 days. It can be electronic or on paper. You can use things like a lease for your residence, a utility bill (including a cell phone bill), a bank statement, a paycheck, a government check, or another government document.



Page Updated: August 2023