Colorado allows residents to mark M, F, or X on their birth certificate.
Submit a request to Colorado’s Vital Records office to amend your birth certificate.
Medical certification is not required for applicants over 18 if you provide a signed and notarized Sex Designation Form (PDF).
To apply for an updated Colorado birth certificate, you will need to provide:
- completed Birth Certificate Correction Form (PDF)
- notarized Sex Designation Form (PDF) or court order indicating that you have undergone gender affirmation surgery
- certified name-change court order (if applicable)
- copy of acceptable ID (listed here)
- payment of applicable fee(s)
Note: You must update your birth certificate with the state where you were born.