You may register to vote and cast a ballot on the same day, during any early voting period and on Election Day, at the office of your municipality’s registrar. However, if your polling place on Election Day is not located at the registrar’s office, then same day registration and voting on Election Day takes place at your local voting place.
You will need to provide identity documents that show your voting residence. The following are acceptable proof of ID:
- Government document or credential with photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, State ID, valid U.S. Passport, military ID)
- Government ID document/credential without photo (i.e., certified birth certificate or signed Social Security card)
- An official document that shows name and address of voter (i.e., eligibility for public benefits, utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck)
- Student photo ID from a state-approved public or private school or institute of higher education in Maine
- Verified unique identifier (Maine driver’s license number or last four numbers of Social Security Number).