Registered Louisiana voters must show an acceptable photo ID at the polls to vote. if you are a registered voter but didn't bring your ID to the polling place, you may cast a provisional ballot. If you do not have ID, you will have to sign an affidavit and provide further information requested by the commissioners.
VoteRiders provides information and free, expert assistance to help you with voter ID. We can help with renewing your expired ID, obtaining the documents needed to secure your ID, and covering the cost of getting to and from ID-issuing offices. Call or text VoteRiders’ Voter ID Helpline: 844-338-8743.
GUIDE TO VOTER ID RULES IN LOUISIANA
Louisiana IDs for voting:
- LA driver's license
- LA special ID card
- Other generally recognized picture ID card with voter's name and signature
- Digital license via LA Wallet*
* Smartphone app by LA Office of Motor Vehicles
If none of above, you can complete and sign affidavit including date of birth and mother’s maiden name
- If you register to vote in person, you must show a driver’s license, state ID, or provide the last 4 digits of your social security number (SSN), if you have one.
- If you registered by mail and did not include your state’s driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your SSN, you must show an acceptable form of ID (see below) at your polling place.
- If you apply for an absentee/vote by mail ballot and did not include your state’s driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your SSN when you registered by mail, you must include a copy of an acceptable ID (see below).
Here is a list of acceptable IDs: Documents that prove who you are
Your state may have other ID requirements for voting in person or for absentee/vote by mail ballot.