Who is eligible to request an absentee ballot and vote by mail?
To be qualified to vote absentee, you must be:
- Absent from your voting jurisdiction on Election Day
- Incapacitated or confined due to illness or physical disability, or have primary responsibility of caring for an incapacitated or confined person
- Restricted by religious belief or practice
- Employed by an election authority at a location other than such voter's polling place
- Incarcerated but have retained all voting qualifications
- A certified participant in address confidentiality program because of safety concerns
Do you need to submit ID with your absentee ballot request?
Voters requesting an absentee ballot by mail who have registered by mail and have not voted in person are required to submit a copy of their personal identification unless they provided a copy with their registration application. Examples of acceptable identification are:
- ID issued by state of Missouri, agency of the state, or local election authority of the state;
- ID issued by U.S. government or agency thereof;
- ID issued by institution of higher education within state of Missouri;
- Current utility bill, bank statement, pay check, or gov’t document including check with name and address of voter;
- ID approved by the Secretary of State of Missouri.
Do you need to submit ID with your ballot?
No, but the signature on your mail ballot must match your voter registration signature.
Last update: April 15, 2020