Submit a request to the South Dakota Vital Records office to amend your birth certificate.
You will need to provide a court order changing your name and specifying that a new birth certificate should be issued.
To change the name on your South Dakota birth certificate, you will need to provide:
- signed and notarized Birth Record Amendment Request form (PDF – full instructions on page 2!)
- name-change court order (original or certified copy)
- copy of your photo ID
- certified copy of your birth certificate or application for a new copy*
- payment of any applicable fees
* If you have a certified copy of your birth certificate, include it with your application. This will allow the state to issue you an updated birth certificate at no charge.
If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, include a completed Vital Records Request form (PDF) and the required documents/fees. You will be issued an updated birth certificate.